Wednesday, April 1, 2015

This Nerdy Girl's Guide to WonderCon 2015

So, WonderCon 2015 starts this Friday, April 3rd.  I am very excited to be attending all three days.  My BFF @llyzabeth and I are leaving San Diego early Friday and making the 'ohmygawd let's hope traffic is ok' drive to Anaheim. Our costumes are packed along with enough spirit gum and hairspray to hold a house together.  We are ready!

Last year I downloaded the Official WonderCon app.  Lets just say that I was not impressed by it.  It was super buggy. How can you release an app to a crap ton of nerdy people and it not work properly?  Luckily, I feel they learned from their mistakes and this year it seems to be much improved and I recommend giving it a whirl.  It allows you to select your favorite panels that you would like to attend.  This creates your own personal schedule.  If you are like me I am already calculating the math of walk time from room to room and taking into consideration wait times.  I mean this is serious business.  We can't miss a panel we want to attend. I will have a back up in my handy, dandy notebook!

That brings me to the panels.  I have chosen several panels that I will definitely have to see, but also have a back up list for all the days. I love the WonderCon panels because there are a lot of science panels, fashion panels, etc.  It really meets the needs of the science nerds all the way to the cosplayers.  It is just a different expericence than Comic Con in San Diego.  Both are great. 


Here are my personal recommendations:
Friday, April 3rd
1:00pm - Star Trek: They're Not Really Dead As Long As We Remember Them Room 207
1:00pm - Let's Get Fashionably Nerdy! Elite Room @ Anaheim Marriott
3:00pm - Greatest Geek Movies of 1985 Room 207
4:30pm - The Most Dangerous Women at WonderCon: The Good, the Bad and the Deadly Room 213 
5:00pm - The Science of Star Wars Room 207
5:00pm - 2015: Greatest Geek Year Ever? Room 300AB
6:30pm - When Fans Create and Become Creators Room 208

Saturday, April 4th
11:30am - Authors of Fantasy Fiction Room 208
12:00pm - Anti- Heroes Room 207
12:00pm - Big Hero 6: The Art of the Story Room 300AB
12:00pm - Cosplay Makeup 101 Elite Room @ Anaheim Marriott
  2:00pm - CAC #7: Geek Culture in Therapy Room 210
  4:00pm - Illustrators of the Art Directors Guild Room 209
  4:00pm - Marvel: The Next Big Thing Room 300AB
  6:30pm - Science in Science Fiction Room 213  (My personal favorite)

Sunday, April 5th
10:30am - Fashion in Comics with Babs Tarr Room 213
11:00am - The Nerdist Panel with Chris Hardwick ARENA
  2:00pm - Nerdist Science Room 209
  2:30pm - Writing and Illustrating Books for Children Room 213
  3:30pm - How to Create Your Own Novel Room 208

Also, don't forget that a huge part of WonderCon happens in front of the Anaheim Convention Center in the courtyard area.  The Cosplayers hang out and there are a lot of great photo opps.  This is my favorite part of any Con. Also, the food trucks are out front. Lines are long during normal meal times so plan accordingly.  

Nighttime in the courtyard is a magical fun time of lights and cosplayers.  No matter what your fandom or who you ship there is a good chance someone is cosplaying them. 

Have fun!!  Pictures will be posted on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment